Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Panasonic HDD goes again

Well my Panasonic DMR EX75 DVD recorder failed again on Sunday - same old capacitor problem. First replacement lasted 12 months. Last one lasted 8.

I was out of capacitors, so it was back to Charles Hyde & Son and for £1.31 each I ordered three which arrived within a couple of days. They came with a small pack of sweets which was a nice touch my kids appreciated!

Replacing the capacitor as previously solved the problem. I'm not sure how long the latest one is going to last. The unit was running quite hot and successive solderings are getting more difficult to do and taking their toll on the capacitor base legs. I also initially thought I might have left a dry joint on one of the legs then over-compensated with too much solder leaving a blob but it seems to be working ok, at least for the moment. Maybe the blob will act as a buffer against the overheating caused by the design flaw?  We'll have to wait and see. 

No comments: